Cynthia Colvin, PhD
Oakland, California 94618
Click map marker for directions
- Child or Adolescent
- Chronic Pain or Illness
- Couples Therapy
- Fears & Phobias
- Gender Issues
- Loss or Grief
- Personality Disorders
- Relationship issues
- Trauma & PTSD
- Women's Issues
About My Practice
Everyone experiences difficulties in life, that's part of being human. Whether our difficulties occur early in our childhood or later in life, we all have our own unique ways of coping But sometimes they leave us feeling weighted down and unable to move forward without knowing why. Some typical reactions to past or current difficulties might be to:
- Blame oneself and suffer low self-esteem
- Internalize one's anger and feel depressed
- Believe that the past danger continues and therefore live in fear
- Continue to repeat a negative pattern, thus making maladaptive choices that affect your marriage, relationships, job situation and friendships
- Develop symptoms such as eating disorders, sleep difficulties, fears, phobias, anxieties, excessive anger, social isolation and loneliness.
Psychotherapy is a safe place to explore and understand these underlying difficulties. I provide an environment of validation and careful listening to help you explore and understand your struggles. I also bring many years of training and experience to my work with you.
I strive to bring warmth, compassion and thoughtfulness to the therapeutic relationship. We will work to understand the causes of your difficulties, and in letting go of self-reproach, help you to discover new and inspiring opportunities for growth.
In my practice I work with adolescents, adults and couples.
I see some clients on a weekly basis for short-term, goal-oriented work. Other clients and I agree to meet several times a week for more intensive, longer-term psychotherapy or psychoanalysis.
Years in Practice
PhD in Clinical Psychology, California School of Professional Psychology
Psychoanalyst, Psychoanalytic Institue of Northern California
Faculty, The Psychotherapy Institute, Berkeley California
Member, Psychoanalytic Institue of Northern California
Member, American Psychological Association
Accepting New Clients